Sunday, December 22, 2013

A Warm Winter Day, or Two

The news told me that warm weather was coming this weekend, so I got ready for it by making some sugar candy for the girls. Cut it up into six pieces, and I was ready!


Started with the closest hive, at Nancys' house. Looking good, both sides are active and flying.


Added the Imirie shim and the sugar candy.


My only worry is that with the shim on, there's a gap where bees can get through into the other nuc. I did face the inside cutouts to opposite sides, but I don't think that will help much.


We'll have to see how this plays out.


Then, on to the Walkers'. Busy bees! Again, both hives are active. =)


Bring out your dead!


They've been eating the sugar that I put in before.



Shim on, new sugar in.


Second hive, pretty much the same as the first.


Some sugar left.


I took away as much of the wax paper as I could. They're making it easy for me by taking off the sticky stuff. Another shim on! Three down, two to go!


This is how they were when I left them, none the worse for wear.


That night, we had a scout fund-raising event. The kids hosted a Christmas-themed movie night. Served popcorn and lemonade, and showed all the classic Christmas movies. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, A Charlie Brown Christmas. I was as entertained as the kids were! =D

Came home to these beasty boys. We dog-sit for a few families. It's a good thing they get along!


These two are the biggest dogs that we watch. It's funny, the two of them belong to neighbors in a town near us. Must be something in the water there.


Sunday morning, checking on my first two hives. What a difference a day makes, look, there's no snow left!
The wild hive on the right doesn't look alive at all. Oh, dear.


But, to my surprise, they're OK!



Plenty of bees inside, just don't know why they're not flying.


The other hive was a bit more, obvious about it.


More out than in.



But they're in there!


The new sugar in under the lid, inside the shim.


And, I'm done! Here's hoping that the rest of winter will go so well. *knocks wood*

No comments:

Post a Comment