Monday, January 20, 2014

Penny Stove

 So, I was wandering around the internet aimlessly, as usual, when I stumbled across this Instructable. I had to give it a shot, so here it is, my "penny stove".
 This is everything you need to make it, please ignore the Imirie shims in the background, that's another project. And yes, that is a rather large silver tarp on my dining room table. Sometimes a tablecloth just won't do.


I cut a piece of scrap paper to fit around a can, and folded it so I would have eight sides. Really, so I would have eight creases, but we're getting to that.


 I folded it in half the long way, unfolded it again, wrapped it around my can snugly, and taped it together. Then, I punched holes on all the places where the folds cross each other.


 Following the Instructable, I rigged my can cutter. Razor blade in clamp, clamp clamped onto the T-square. The razor is set to one and a half inches.


Carefully scored my cans. (Just the two, you'll see what the third one is for soon!)


 Using a spoon, pop that sucker open. It kinda folds and crinkles at the score mark, and eventually pops.


Ta-dah!


Slip that paper back on, and punch holes through the can. Only one of the cans! One the came can bit, use a hammer and a small nail, and poke a few holes around the top, and one in the center.


Like this:







Snip the can right down to the holes. This part is going inside the other can bottom, and this makes it easier to fit. The round holes make it so it won't tear past that point as you're struggling to fit it together. =)


 This is where the other can comes in handy. Since the two cans are the same size and you need one to fit inside the other, the cuts we just did help make the top part smaller, and pushing the third can into the bottom can (gently!) and kinda rolling it around the edge, will help stretch it out just enough to make it work. So, put it in there like this, and rotate it around a bit.


 This part wasn't in the Instructable, I came up with it myself! *behold my brilliance*
Just like the can-in-a-can we just did, only backwards. I used the side of the scissors to push the edge of the hole in a little bit.


*Because* when you're putting the top can into the bottom can, and those cut bits are folding together, those hole edges kinda stick out and catch on the bottom can. Like this:


 Slowly and gently, push the top into the bottom. Don't rush! If you push too hard, it can slip in sideways and get stuck. Ask me how I know. I dare you. -_- Mine didn't get too stuck, otherwise you'd be looking at a picture of my trashcan with a title of: "What I screwed Up Today".


There it is! I sanded around the edge of the bottom can a bit so I wouldn't cut myself. Now I just need to get some denatured alcohol, some small bottles to put it in, and a penny. Maybe I'll even try to do the rest of the Instructable and make the carrier/platform part.

No comments:

Post a Comment