Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Yay! My Amazon order finally arrived! Everything came neatly wrapped in plastic bags.


 I got right to work. I've found several recipes online, here are a few.
Liquid Detergent 1
Powder Detergent
Liquid Detergent 2
Since they're all pretty much the same, I kinda winged it. My version uses pretty much the same ingredients as the Liquid 2, but I've left it dry. So:

1/2 bar FellsNaptha
1 cup Borax
1 cup Washing Soda

Grate the 1/2 bar with a microplane or small cheese grater. Add 1 cup each of Borax and washing soda. Mix well. Use 2 tablespoons in each load.

Sounds pretty simple, but I have to tell you, it took almost an hour to grate up the half-bar of soap. It's just that solid. It's also very sweet-smelling. Made my eyes water, and my nose itch.



Add stuff. And mix.


I did not use my food processor, it mixed well enough for me by hand.


I'll use the other half of the bar to make a liquid version, and let you know what I think.
One of the complaints I've read is that there is "no scent" when the laundry is dome. I don't think that's true. So far, my laundry is coming out very clean-smelling. It reminds me of my Mom ironing when I was little. That hot-iron-on-clean-laundry smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment